Category: Community

Pottery is ‘a way of life’ for local artist

Making pottery is not an occupation that many people would consider pursuing, but for Lamyaa AlQadhi, the art-form is a way of life. AlQadhi, an Iraq native, has worked as a professional potter since 1995, earning herself an excellent reputation...

/ May 1, 2012

Mural artist in a new country

Eddyth Gaviria was always artistic, but until she visited a dental office for her son’s appointment, she never considered making a career of her abilities. “[…] I saw the murals in the office,” explained Gaviria, “and I [thought] ‘I...

/ May 1, 2012

Newcomer Youth Centre offers ‘fun and safe place’

The YMCA Newcomer Youth Centre (NYC) is a friendly, urban place for Hamilton’s newcomer youth. As a part of the YMCA Immigrant Settlement Services, the NYC is dedicated to helping newcomer youth, ages 13-24, with their settlement needs. Services include:...

/ March 7, 2012

Leading and Learning graduates make change

Have a question about housing? Legal issues? Transfer of foreign credentials? Buying a good food box? Graduates from the Immigrant Women’s Centre’s new program, Leading and Learning, will be pleased to help you find the answer. The program, which had...

/ February 7, 2012

Finding Refuge from El Salvador

I was thirteen-years-old when I first came to Canada. Leaving El Salvador was very sad, but I was old enough to understand that we had to leave; that if we wanted to escape the violence and fear of death, then...

/ January 19, 2012

Making Hamilton Home

What does it take to feel rooted in a new place? What makes a place feel like home? These are questions we wrestle with as we walk alongside refugee claimants who have come through the doors of Micah House. Micah...

/ January 15, 2012