Category: Community

Mural artist in a new country

Eddyth Gaviria was always artistic, but until she visited a dental office for her son’s appointment, she never considered making a career of her abilities. “[…] I saw the murals in the office,” explained Gaviria, “and I [thought] ‘I...

/ May 1, 2012

Newcomer Youth Centre offers ‘fun and safe place’

The YMCA Newcomer Youth Centre (NYC) is a friendly, urban place for Hamilton’s newcomer youth. As a part of the YMCA Immigrant Settlement Services, the NYC is dedicated to helping newcomer youth, ages 13-24, with their settlement needs. Services include:...

/ March 7, 2012

Leading and Learning graduates make change

Have a question about housing? Legal issues? Transfer of foreign credentials? Buying a good food box? Graduates from the Immigrant Women’s Centre’s new program, Leading and Learning, will be pleased to help you find the answer. The program, which had...

/ February 7, 2012

Finding Refuge from El Salvador

I was thirteen-years-old when I first came to Canada. Leaving El Salvador was very sad, but I was old enough to understand that we had to leave; that if we wanted to escape the violence and fear of death, then...

/ January 19, 2012

Making Hamilton Home

What does it take to feel rooted in a new place? What makes a place feel like home? These are questions we wrestle with as we walk alongside refugee claimants who have come through the doors of Micah House. Micah...

/ January 15, 2012

Family reunites with daughter, sister

Before Doris came to Hamilton, she and her husband were experiencing persecution. Like many Colombians, they made plans to flee unrest. Faced with a difficult decision, Doris and her husband fled to the United States leaving their four-year-old daughter, Angie,...

/ January 15, 2012